Google revived the Google Nexus 5 as Google Nexus 5X. The device came in collaboration with LG once again. Google calls the Nexus 5X a compact device with a top-notch spec sheet. Having it powered up with Snapdragon 808 CPU and Adreno 418 GPU, Google has used a 2GB RAM in this phone and internal storage begins from 16 GB. On the front there is a 5 MP camera and a 12.3 MP camera at the back. Nexus 5X has a 2700 mAh battery. This device also runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box.
Nexus 5X was available for users right after Google released it. It didn’t take long for the developers to get their hands on this device and tweak it. Nexus 5X’s bootloader has already been unlocked, a recovery has been flashed and the device has been rooted as well. That means if you own a Nexus 5X, you are free to unleash its potential and explore the open nature Android world. Users who’ve been looking for a method to unlock bootloader, flash a custom recovery and root their Nexus 5X, we have a good news for them. In the succeeding post we are going to help you to unlock the bootloader of your LG Nexus 5X. After unlocking the bootloader we will flash TWRP recovery. In the end we will flash SuperSu.zip file in TWRP recovery to root this phone. We also disable encryption on this device by means a custom boot.img file. Let’s begin with the precautions.
- This guide is only for LG Nexus 5X. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged up to 70% to avoid any power issues.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Backup all of your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled in settings. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging mode.
- Also turn on “Enable OEM Unlock” under developer options.
- Download and install Google USB drivers.
- Download and setup Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers. Mac users can use this guide to install ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus if you have enabled.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. In case of a mishap, Techbeasts or LG may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Unlock LG Nexus 5X Bootloader
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded and installed Google USB drivers and also installed Minima ADB & Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or installed Mac ADB & Fastboot for Mac.
- Also make sure that USB debugging mode is enabled, OEM Unlock is also enabled. We are going to connect your phone to your PC in Fastboot mode.
- Now turn off your phone completely. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Now open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > Open py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command window. Mac users can see in the Mac guide for the file they will be opening.
- Now in the command window enter the following commands one by one.
This command will verify the connection of your device with your PC in fastboot mode.
fastboot oem unlock
This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the enter key after typing this command, you will get a message in your phone asking for the confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Use volume up & down keys to navigate through options and confirm unlocking.
This command will reboot your phone. That’s all, disconnect your phone.
How To Flash TWRP Recovery On Your Nexus 5X
- Download boot.img [mdb08i firmware],You can download and extract boot.img file for mdb08m firmware from here and TWRP Recovery.img file. Rename the recovery file to only “recovery.img“.
- Copy the boot.img according to your firmware and recovery.img file to Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder which is located in program files in your windows installation drive.
- Now boot your Nexus 5X into fastboot mode as suggested in the step 3 above.
- Connect your Nexus 5X to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe or py_cmd.exe as explained in step 5 above.
- Now in the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will flash TWRP recovery on your LG Nexus 5X.
How To Root LG Nexus 5X On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Download SuperSu v2.52.zip file and copy it to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into TWRP recovery on your phone.
- Tap Install > Scroll all the way down > Select SuperSu.zip file > Confirm flashing.
- Once flashed, reboot your phone.
- Locate SuperSu in application drawer. Verify root access using Root Checker.
That’s all. Need help with something? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017