Just a month back Google released the all new Nexus 6P. This time Google partnered with Huawei for its new flagship device. The name 6P suggests that this is a premium iteration of the Nexus 6. Huawei has put a lot of effort in making this device beautiful and stunning. The spec sheet carries a 5.7-inch QHD display with an 8 MP selfie shooter at the top. We have a 12.3 MP shooter at the back accompanied by Nexus imprint. Snapdragon 810 v2.1 clocked at 2.0 GHz is powering this device up, and GPU is Adreno 430. We have a whopping 3GB RAM and internal storage begins from 32 GB. A massive battery with the capacity of 3450 mAh is placed under the hood to make this device run for long. Nexus 6P also brought Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the curtains. The elegant design and premium build quality make this device a rockstar.
Nexus 6P was available for users right after the moment it was released by Google. The device is now seeing its way towards Android development and we have the custom stuff landing in now. Google always makes it pretty easy for developers to tweak its devices, the same has happened with the Nexus 6P as well. Issuing a few commands will help you to unlock the bootloader of your phone and then you’re all set to flash custom recoveries, root your phone or flash custom ROMs. Users who are new to the word custom in the world of Android, they may want to know that custom recoveries allow you to create and restore Nandroid backup, flash zip files, backup modem, efs and other such partitions. It also allows you to wipe cache, dalvik cache and there’s a lot more that you can do using a custom recovery. Flashing a custom ROM changes the system of your phone. Custom ROMs are the aftermarket versions of Android. Rooting your device allows you to install root-specific applications and make system level tweaks to your Android phone. To do all this stuff, you need an unlocked bootloader.
Nexus 6P users can now easily unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and then root their device. In the succeeding guide we will be unlocking the bootloader of Huawei Nexus 6P. After unlocking the bootloader we will flash TWRP recovery on this device. In the end we will flash SuperSu.zip file in TWRP recovery to root Huawei Nexus 6P. Let’s go ahead and learn the steps now.
- This guide is only for Huawei Nexus 6P. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged up to 70% to avoid any power issues.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Backup all of your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled in settings. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging mode.
- Also turn on “Enable OEM Unlock” under developer options.
- Download and install Google USB drivers.
- Download and setup Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers. Mac users can use this guide to install ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus if you have enabled.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. In case of a mishap, Techbeasts or Huawei may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Unlock Huawei Nexus 6P Bootloader
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded and installed Google USB drivers and also installed Minima ADB & Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or installed Mac ADB & Fastboot for Mac.
- Also make sure that USB debugging mode is enabled, OEM Unlock is also enabled. We are going to connect your phone to your PC in Fastboot mode.
- Now turn off your phone completely. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Now open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > Open py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command window. Mac users can see in the Mac guide for the file they will be opening.
- Now in the command window enter the following commands one by one.
This command will verify the connection of your device with your PC in fastboot mode.
fastboot oem unlock
This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the enter key after typing this command, you will get a message in your phone asking for the confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Use volume up & down keys to navigate through options and confirm unlocking.
This command will reboot your phone. That’s all, disconnect your phone.
How To Flash TWRP Recovery On Your Nexus 6P
- Download boot.img and TWRP Recovery.img file. Rename the file to only “recovery.img”.
- Copy boot.img and recovery.img file to Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder which is located in program files in your windows installation drive.
- Now boot your Nexus 6P into fastboot mode as suggested in the step 3 above.
- Connect your Nexus 6P to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe or Py_cmd.exe as explained in step 5 above.
- Now in the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will flash TWRP recovery on your Huawei Nexus 6P.
How To Root Huawei Nexus 6P On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Download SuperSu v2.52.zip file and copy it to your phone’s SD card.
- Boot into TWRP recovery on your phone.
- Tap Install > Scroll all the way down > Select SuperSu.zip file > Confirm flashing.
- Once flashed, reboot your phone.
- Locate SuperSu in application drawer. Verify root access using Root Checker.
That’s all. Need help with something? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Root and Install TWRP on Android 7.0 Nougat Galaxy S7/S7 Edge [Verified Method] - January 23, 2017
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017