Though many people own an iPhone but most of them don’t know what model they own. This is usually because every iPhone model looks the same, let’s say one can easily tell about iPhone 2g, 3g, 4 and 5, but when they were asked to tell whether it is iPhone 3g or 3gs, iPhone 4 or 4S, iPhone 5 or 5S, then they get confused about telling the model. What more, I can easily that no one knows the exact model number to find the firmware for their iPhone.
Other advantage of knowing your model is that you can tell the model of your phone even if the phone is Off, Dead, bricked or any other software issue that won’t let it turn on. Knowing model number allows you to repair the exact parts or update the authorized firmware for your iPhone.
Find the Model number on the Case of iPhone.
- Examine the back of your iPhone and look below the ‘iPhone’ badge.
- Make note of where it says “Model Axxxx” and compare to list below.
iPhone Model Number List:
- A1428 – iPhone 5 GSM (standard GSM model in USA for AT&T, T-Mobile, etc)
- A1429 – iPhone 5 GSM & CDMA (normal CDMA model in USA, Verizon, Sprint, etc)
- A1442 – iPhone 5 CDMA China
- A1387 – iPhone 4S, CDMA & GSM
- A1431 – iPhone 4S GSM China
- A1349 – iPhone 4 CDMA
- A1332 – iPhone 4 GSM
- A1325 – iPhone 3GS China
- A1303 – iPhone 3GS (GSM only)
- A1324 – iPhone 3G China
- A1241 – iPhone 3G (GSM only)
- A1203 – iPhone (Original model, GSM only)
With the help of these models, you can easily differentiate the CDMA and GSM models. Using such numbers you can also find what firmware is for your iPhone.
- Phone 3G – iPhone1,2
- iPhone 3GS – iPhone2,1
- iPhone 4 (GSM)- iPhone3,1
- iPhone 4 (CDMA) – iPhone3,3
- iPhone 4S – iPhone4,1
- iPhone 5 (GSM/) – iPhone5,1
- iPhone 5 (CDMA) -iPhone5,2
Finding Model Using iTunes.
You can use iTunes to find the Model of your iPhone, but iTunes won’t tell the Model number but it will tell you what iPhone it is, for example: iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 5S etc.
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes using Data cable.
- Under summery tab, you will find the iPhone model labeled clearly at top.
If you want to find model number through iOS, then go to settings and about to find whatever you can.