Xperia Z and ZL/ZQ are running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat that Sony rolled out recently based on the build number 10.5.A.0.230. If you’ve updated to this latest firmware, and you’ve lost the root rights on your device or just in case you’re looking to root your device for the first on this latest firmware, you may find a number of methods to do so, but most probably most of them will require you to unlock the bootloader of your Sony Xperia device, but many of you might not get the root access on their device just because you don’t want to unlock the bootloader and loose the warranty and finish the official touch on the device.
Famous developer, Geohot has recently come up with Towelroot exploit that roots a number of Android devices without any hiccups here and there. The tools is a small apk file that can be installed and roots the device in just one tap, there isn’t any bootloader unlock required. A number of Xperia devices running on the kernel before 3rd of June, 2014 can be rooted using this exploit. As you move forward, we’ll be showing you how you can root your Sony Xperia Z and ZL [All variants] running on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware without unlocking the bootloader using the Towelroot.
Here are the early preparations:
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603, C6616 and Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503, C6506. The device must be running on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware based on the build number 10.5.A.0.230.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the rooting process.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled on your device. To do so, go to Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode > Enable. In case you can’t find the developer options, then go to Settings > About Device > Tap Build Number for 7 Times to enable the developer options.
- Use only on OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and your Phone.
- Allow “Unknown Sources” on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > Security > Unknown Sources > Tick.
How To Root Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZQ Locked Bootloader:
- Download Towelroot apk.
- Connect your Xperia Z/ZL to your PC now.
- Copy the downloaded APK file to your device.
- Disconnect your device and locate the APK file on it.
- Tap the APK file to begin installation.
- Select “Package Installer” if prompted.
- Allow Unknown Sources from Settings > Security if required.
- Proceed with the installation and complete it.
- Now open the Towelroot application from the app drawer.
- Tap the button “make it ra1n” in the towelroot app.
- Now download SuperSu.zip file.
- Unzip the file, and grap Superuser.apk from the common folder in the unzipped folder.
- Now copy this apk to your Xperia Z/ZL, and install it using steps 2 – 8.
- Once installed, update Superuser or SuperSu using Google Play Store.
- Phewwww! That’s all, you can now enjoy your rooted Xperia Z / ZL.
How to install busybox now?
- Go to Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search for “Busybox Installter”.
- Once you find it, install it.
- Run the Busybox installer and proceed with the installation.
- That’s all!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your Xperia Z/ZL.
- Find “Root Checker” and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
What to do once you’re rooted?
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and flashing custom recoveries and custom ROMs. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
That’s all. Please consider a donation to the developer for his hardwork on this application. Just in case you got any queries or you face any difficulties regarding this post, feel free to reach us through the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017
- Download Yu Gi Oh Duel Links for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017