Canadian variant of the Galaxy S5 has already been unveiled, if you’re planning to buy one, you surely would like to break the jails of this new beast and test how much tolerance your Galaxy S5 has and how many mods it can actually bear. XDA community is already active on the development of Samsung’s new flagship, there’s a lot of stuff available around that you would like to check out, but the only thing that you need to enjoy mods on your Galaxy S5 is the root access. XDA Elite Recognized Developer Chainfire has already rooted the hefty list of the Galaxy S5 variants, his popular CF-autoroot is available for the Canadian Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 as well. In the following post we are going to use this method to gain the root access on the phone.
Before we head towards the instructions, I’m assuming that not all of you are familiar with the root access and not aware of the answer to the question “why you should root your device?”. To make it clear, we will first have look on a brief introduction of the root access.
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and flashing custom recoveries and custom ROMs. There is a laundry list of things you can do after having your device rooted and installed the custom recovery, now once you’re rooted and have installed custom recovery, go ahead and enjoy it on your phone. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
Here are the pre-installation instructions:
- This guide is only for Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model number in Settings > General > About Device.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and PC. Turn off your Anti Virus and Firewall to prevent any connection issues. Also enable USB debugging mode on your phone if you face connection issues.
- Alright! Go ahead, follow this guide to the letter.
|Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom ROMs and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Also, if your device comes with Knox Security, you will result in voiding it after you root your device and the Knox counter cannot be reset. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.|
Files you need to download:
- Download and extract Odin PC – Get it here
- Download and Samsung USB Drivers – Get here
- Download & Unzip Cf Auto Root Package file once on your desktop, you will get a .tar.md5 file.
How to Root Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8:
- Open Odin3.exe from the extracted folder.
- Put your Canadian SGS 5 in download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power key at the same time, you should get a screen showing a warning and asking to continue, press Volume Up to continue.
- Now your phone should be in downloading mode. Connect your phone to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone the ID:COM box will turn light blue.
- Click on the PDA tab and select the CF-autoroot file that you extracted above.
- In case you’re using Odin v3.09, you will put the .tar.md5 file in the “AP” tab, rest of the settings should remain untouched in Odin v3.09 as well.
- Your Odin screen should look like exactly as shown below.
- Click Start and the root process should start showing you a process bar in the first box above ID:COM.
- The process is quite fast and will finish in a few seconds, as soon as it ends, your phone will restart and you’ll see the CF Auto root installing SuperSu on your phone.
- Congratulations you have your Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 rooted now!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your Galaxy S5.
- Find “Root Checker“ and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
Once you’re rooted, make sure that you Backup EFS Data on your Galaxy S5.
That’s all. In case you have some queries or you’re facing some issues regarding this post, feel free to stop by the comment box below and drop us your words. We surely will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017