One thing about Google and some other companies like LG and Motorola, is that they release a device with high-end specs but with a mid range budget. Moto G 2013 was a success, because of its great specs and low price,the same is the case here with 2nd GEN Moto G. Moto G 2014 offers Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat out of box, 8MP of rear camera and 2MP of Front camera and 5″ HD Display, everything else is pretty much the same as Moto G 2013, except the Sleek design and appealing look. Since it is Android, you are sure to receive the Rooting method and a Custom Recovery for it, and its Moto G 2014 turn now.
Moto G 2014 has received the rooting method and TWRP recovery, not much to be happy about, but still it is a start and because of this small step, you’ll start getting Custom ROMs for Moto G 2014 in no time. The installing method is quite simple, yet there is no guarantee about anything, so we will also give you some other links to back-up your device, so in case of any failure, you can restore it all. Without further ado, let’s proceed.
This is only for Moto G 2014 (2nd GEN)
This Method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
Unlock the Bootloader
Visit Motorola Website to Unlock the Bootloader of Moto G 2014 as it is one of the main requirement to Install the Custom Recovery and rooting the device.
Configure ADB and Fastboot
Since we are going to use command prompt to flash the recovery, it requires a Working fastboot and adb, Follow the link to Configure Fastboot for your device
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Google in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility
TWRP Recovery: Link (titan)
Super SU: Link
How To Install TWRP Recovery:
- Download recovery from above and rename it to recovery.
- Copy the recovery to fastboot folder.
- Open Bootloader/Fastboot mode. How? Connect your device with PC and open Command prompt in fastboot folder,How? Hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the Fastboot folder
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Bootloader, type in the following command: fastboot flash recoceryrecovery.img Press Enter.
- Then type in the following command: fastboot reboot.
- After the reboot, take out the battery and wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Then re-insert the battery
How To Flash Super SU for Rooting:
- Download Super SU from Above link.
- Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
- Connect your device with PC.
- Boot into Recovery, How? Connect your device with PC,Open Command prompt in fastboot folder.
- Now Type: adb reboot recovery
- Go to Main Menu and Tap Install Button.
- Locate the Super SU.zip, Swipe the Slider To install it.
- Once the Installation is over, Reboot the System.
- Now check Super User app in Drawer or use any root checker app to verify
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016