Sony recently updated its device Xperia SP to the newest firmware 12.0.A.2.254 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. There had been a number of rumors in the recent times about the Android upgrade of Sony Xperia SP to Android 4.2.2 and 4.3, but now Sony has confirmed the Android 4.3 update for Sony Xperia SP that will start from the month of December, 2013. Perhaps our concern now is to achieve the root access on the current latest firmware running on the device.
Keeping that aside, Let’s get back to the topic. Rooting your device has always been pretty useful when it comes to play with Android beyond the boundaries. Sometimes the root methods for the newest firmwares change and you need to follow the latest method to root your device on the latest firmware. Those of you who’ve been looking to root their device on the 12.0.A.2.254 firmware, you’ve spotted the right place as we’ve made an easy to understand and detailed guide. You just need to follow the steps explained below to the letter, before we go ahead here’s a little introduction to root and its advantages in case you don’t know it yet.
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and custom roms. By installing custom recovery, you can flash custom roms in the phone easily. Custom recovery also let’s you backup your current rom and restore it in case of any mishap. There is a laundry list of things you can do after having your device rooted and installed the custom recovery, now once you’re rooted and have installed custom recovery, go ahead and enjoy it on your phone. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
Let’s move forward to the root process…
|Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.|
Before we go ahead, here are some pre-requisites that you need to follow:
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged over at least 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues on the device during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your important Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. It is highly recommended in case of any mishap or data loss to backup all your important data.
- Make sure that you use the original data cable to connect your device to your PC.
- Make sure that your device is Sony Xperia SP C5302 or C5303 and is running on the latest 12.0.A.2.254 firmware , check the model under Settings>About Device>Model.
- In case of USB connection problems, enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, open Settings>General>Developer Options. If you can’t find the developer options, simply open About device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you should have the developer options enabled under the ”General Tab”.
- Install the listed files carefully, follow this guide to letter in order to prevent any mishap.
Files you need to download:
- Download and Install Sony Flashtool – Here’s the complete guide with download links.
- Download and Install Sony USB drivers – Get Here.
- Download Easy Rooting Toolkit: DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip
- Download the older kernel file for Xperia SP: XperiaSP_C530X_12.0.A.1.257_KernelOnly.ftf
- Download the newer kernel file for Xperia SP: XperiaSP_C530X_12.0.A.2.254_KernelOnly.ftf
How to Root Sony Xperia SP:
- After having installed the Flashtool, place the downloaded XperiaSP_C530X_12.0.A.1.257_KernelOnly.ftf file in the Flashtool>Firmware folder in your C: drive or the directory where you installed the Flashtool.
- Open Flashtool and hit the lightening button on the top left, select flashmode and then select the XperiaSP_C530X_12.0.A.1.257_KernelOnly.ftf , and hit Flash.
- The firmware will take a while to load, as soon as it prompts you to connect the device, turn off your device, press Volume Down and connect it to your PC while keeping the Volume Down key pressed. This connects the device in Flashmode.
- As soon as your device is detected in the Flashmode, the flash process will start and you’ll get the Flashing finished message in the logs.
- Close the Flashtool now. [important]
- Connect your device to your PC again now, This time enable the USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options on your device.
- Extract the downloaded DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip to your C: drive or to whatever drive you’ve installed the windows.
- Now run the runme_OSversion file, this file will execute the rooting toolkit, and will root your phone.
- As soon as your device is rooted, it will restart. Congrats your device is now rooted, check the SuperSu app in the app drawer.
- Now download the newer kernel file that is XperiaSP_C530X_12.0.A.2.254_KernelOnly.ftf and place it in the Firmware folder.
- Open Flashtool again, and Flash the new kernel file using the same method explained in steps 2 & 3.
- As soon as the flashing process is done, turn on your device and enjoy having the root access!
Here’s now how you can flash a Custom Recovery [ClockworkMod] on Sony Xperia SP:
- Download the CWM recovery package file from HERE.
- Extract the zip folder on your computer’s desktop.
- Turn on USB debugging mode on your phone. Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Run the Install.bat file from the extracted folder.
- Follow the instructions on screen.
- Congrats you’ve successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on Sony Xperia SP.
Check out this post to root other Sony Devices.
In case you got any queries or face any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google Trips for PC (Windows and Mac) - September 23, 2016
- LeEco Le Pro 3 Launched with Snapdragon 821, 6GB RAM and 4070 mAh battery - September 21, 2016
- Download and install OnePlus 3 Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod 14 - September 20, 2016