It’s always been difficult to root and install custom recoveries on the carrier dependent variants of the smartphones. Canadian carriers like Bell, Rogers, Virgin Mobile, Telus rolled out Samsung Galaxy S4 soon after the official unveiling of the Galaxy S4, and we have always been lucky when it comes to the development of Android. The awesome developers over XDA-developers have the root method, and also a custom recovery for the Canadian Galaxy S4 . In the following post i’ll be explaining the method about how you can do the process on your device. This method is only for Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M.
In case you are wondering what is root and why do we need to root our phone, also why do we need a custom recovery, that is ClockworkMod [CWM] in our case, then here’s the answer for you:
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and custom roms. By installing custom recovery, you can flash custom roms in the phone easily. Custom recovery also let’s you backup your current rom and restore it in case of any mishap. There is a laundry list of things you can do after having your device rooted and installed the custom recovery, now once you’re rooted and have installed custom recovery, go ahead and enjoy it on your phone. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
Let’s move forward to the root process…
|Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Samsung in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.|
Before we go ahead, here are some pre-requisites that you need to follow:
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged over at least 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues on the device during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your important Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. It is highly recommended in case of any mishap or data loss to backup all your important data.
- Make sure that you use the original data cable to connect your device to your PC.
- Make sure that your device is Canadian Galaxy S4 that is SGH-I337M, check the model under Settings>General>About Device>Model.
- In case of USB connection problems, enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, open Settings>General>Developer Options. If you can’t find the developer options, simply open About device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you should have the developer options enabled under the ”General Tab”.
- Install the listed files carefully, follow this guide to letter in order to prevent any mishap.
Files you need to download:
This method will work with:
- At&t Galaxy S4.
- Canadian Bell Galaxy S4.
- Canadian Rogers Galaxy S4.
- Canadian Virgin Galaxy S4.
- Canadian Telus Galaxy S4.
How to Root Samsung Canadian Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M:
- Put your GS4 SGH-I337M in download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power key at the same time, you should get a screen showing a warning and asking to continue, press Volume Up to continue.
- Now your phone should be in downloading mode. Connect your phone to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone the ID:COM box will turn light blue.
- Click on the PDA tab and select the CF-autoroot file that you extracted above.
- Your Odin screen should look like exactly as shown below.
- Click Start and the root process should start showing you a process bar in the first box above ID:COM.
- The process is quite fast and will finish in a few seconds, as soon as it ends, your phone will restart and you’ll see the CF Auto root installing SuperSu on your phone.
- Congratulations you have your Samsung Galaxy S4 by Canadian Variants rooted now!
How to Install Custom Recovery (ClockworkMod) on your Canadian Galaxy S4:
The method explained above is basically for beginners and does not install a custom recovery in your phone, it simply installs a stock recovery with having your phone rooted. Custom recovery allows you to modify in your phone in so many other ways like flashing custom roms, flashing mods etc.
In order to flash a custom recovery after rooting your SGS4 download the following file.
Now you need to follow the same procedure explained above to root your phone but this time instead of giving it CF Auto Root file in the PDA tab you need to give it the downloaded recovery file that is in .tar.md5 format, for your phone, the recovery will be flashed within a few seconds. You can enter the custom recovery now pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key
Congrats! You’ve successfully rooted and installed CWM recovery on your Canadian Galaxy S4. In case you got any queries or facing any difficulties, feel free to write us in the comment box below. We will try out our best to help you. Thanks.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Magisk Systemless Interface on Android - April 22, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S8 Not registered on network - April 22, 2017
- How to fix LG G4 that keeps restarting itself - April 22, 2017