After in initial Lollipop release for the Xperia smartphones, many devices faced unexpected issues like battery drain, problems with headphones connectivity. Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 also faced some issues on Lollipop update. Therefore Sony has released an update for Xperia Z2 with build number 23.1.A.0.740. This is an update over the previous .726 firmware for Xperia Z2. Everyone is advised to update their devices even if they have not received the OTA update yet. You can update your device using this guide. After updating, root access is wiped. This guide explains how to regain root access on .740 firmware on Xperia Z2 D6503 after Lollipop update. The root access can be gained on locked bootloader so the warranty of device will not be void. The Sony exclusive functionalities like X-Reality and some camera features will keep working even after rooting. Every stock feature will remain undamaged and you will get to enjoy root access on your device.
The rooting guide for 23.1.A.0.74 D6503 Lollipop firmware consists of three main steps. The first steps requires users to downgrade their devices to an older firmware. Second step involves creating a pre-rooted flashable firmware of your own. The third step includes the updating and rooting of 23.1.A.0.74 firmware again. All of these steps are explained in detail in this article. Even if you have no technical knowledge, you will be able to root your phone using this guide flawlessly. Below are given some pre-cautions that must be followed by those who are rooting their device for the first time especially. We recommend that everyone must follow these precautionary steps to make sure that rooting process is safe and secure.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503
This rooting method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z2 drivers from the list. If you do not find the Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and install Sony PC Companion instead, for drivers support. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
7. Unlock Bootloader (Optional)
Use the following guide to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia device before proceeding.
Steps For Rooting Xperia Z2 D6503 23.1.A.0.740 Firmware
1. Downgrade to .167 Firmware and Root It
- If you have already updated your smartphone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, then you have to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Use this guide to Install .167 firmware.
- Root using this guide.
- Now Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Now phone is rooted, USB Debugging must be enabled.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z2 from here. (Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC using OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- It will install the custom recovery.
- Now work here is done. Lets move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .740 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download .740 FTF and place it anywhere on PC.
- Download Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Z2 D6503 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect it.
- Now go back to the .740 ftf you downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon in the top left.
- Click on it and click on flashmode.
- Select the .740 firmware.
- In the right bar, in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other options as it is.
- While flashtool prepares the software for flashing, turn off your phone.
- Keep the volume down button pressed and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- The button must be pressed during it.
- The phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done 🙂
- That’s all 🙂 Enjoy
- Now your phone has a dual custom recovery, root access and of course latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware.
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below
Latest posts by Hayder Ameen (see all)
- Root Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Firmware - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 10.6.A.0.454 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015
- Root Xperia Z C6602,C6603 10.6.A.0.454 5.0.2 LP Plus CWM/TWRP - May 23, 2015