LG’s latest flagship, the G3 was a big hit. G3 helped LG to pocket a lot of respect. To have a start, With a stunning 5.5 inches QHD display on the front accompanied by a 2.1 MP front cam, the device stood very well next to its rivals including Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC’s One M8, Xperia Z2 and others. G3 happens to be LG’s very first device with a QHD display while helps LG to be the very first smartphone giant introducing a QHD display in a smartphone after Oppo. LG G3’s display has a resolution of 1440 x 2560 pixels with 534 ppi that makes it super-crisp. There’s a 13 MP shooter at the back with laser auto-focus. G3 is powered up with Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad-Core CPU clocked at 2.5 GHz accompanied by Adreno 330 GPU. Under the hood, there’s a 2 or 3 GB RAM and the internal storage starts from 16 or 32 GB. A massive 3000 mAh battery is placed inside to add life to this device.
G3 is out for quite a long time now. The development for this device was in runs, we already saw the methods to root this device quiet early but there wasn’t a workaround available to get across the bootloader and unlock it which caused a lot of trouble for Android power users who just couldn’t experience any custom ROM goodies on their beast because of the limitations. Finally! A workaround is available that will allow the users to load custom recoveries, kernels and custom ROMs on their LG G3. This has been made possible by XDA senior member thecubed and his team (Thanks to them). The workaround is dubbed as “Bump!” and packs up TWRP recovery. All it requires is root access and you’re good to go with it. Wondering how you can do this? Well, that’s what we are here for.
As you go ahead, you will come across a comprehensive guide to install Bumped! TWRP Recovery on your International LG G3 D855, Canadian LG G3 D852, AT&T LG G3 D850, Korean LG G3 F400, T-Mobile LG G3 D851, Canada Wind, Sasktel, Videotron D852G, Sprint LG G3 LS 990, Verizon LG G3 VS985. You will only need to follow this guide carefully in order to get it done successfully. Let’s go through early preparations and then head towards Bump! installation guide.
1. This guide is only for LG G3 – All Variants!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
5. Your LG G3 must be Rooted
Make sure that you’ve rooted your LG G3. To load Bumped TWRP recovery on your device, root access is a must. Root your LG G3 the following guides.
- One-Click Root For LG G3 All Variants [How To – Guide]
- How To Root LG G3 [Sprint, Verizon, AT&T And T-Mobile]
6. Install ADB & Fastboot drivers
Android ADB & Fastboot drivers are required for this procedure. Follow our Minimal ADB & Fastboot guide to install the drivers within 2 minutes.
7. Enable USB Debugging on your LG G3
USB Debugging must be enabled. It is located under developer options in settings. Just in case you fail to find the developer options in settings, you will have to activate em’. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap the build number for 7 times and you will get the developer options in settings. You can activate USB debugging now.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is LG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers.. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Let’s Learn How To Install TWRP Recovery On LG G3 Using Bump!
Installing TWRP Recovery using Flashify [No PC required]
- Download Bump! TWRP recovery.img file for your LG G3.
- Make sure you’re rooted.
- Copy the downloaded recovery.img file to your phone’s internal sd card.
- Download and install Flashify on your LG G3.
- Now open Flashify from the app drawer.
- In flashify, select “Recovery Image”.
- Now locate and select the copied recovery.img file.
- When it asks you for confirmation, tap on “Yup”.
- It will quickly flash TWRP recovery on your LG G3, once installed the device will reboot into TWRP itself.
- To enter into TWRP recovery later on, turn off your device completely and then turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key. Leave the keys as you see the TWRP interface.
- That’s all.
Installing TWRP Recovery using PC
- Download the recovery.img file according to your device from here: Bump! TWRP.
- Now connect your LG G3 to your PC and copy the downloaded recovery.img file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Execute the Minimal ADB & Fastboot file from your desktop now.
- If the mobile prompts with USB Debugging permission, check trust this PC.
- Now in Minimal ADB & Fastboot command window, issue the following commands having replaced the DOWNLOADED_RECOVERY with the file name you just downloaded above.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/sdcard/DOWNLOADED_RECOVERY.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
- Running these commands will instantly load TWRP recovery on your device. Once done, reboot your device.
- To enter into TWRP recovery, turn off your LG G3 completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key. Do not leave the keys until you see the TWRP recovery.
- That’s all. You’re good go with flashing and tweaking your device now.
Make sure that you create a Nandroid Backup now.
That’s all. In case you’re stuck with anything regarding this guide, make sure that you utilize the comment box below. We will get back to you immediately.