LG G5 H850 which is the international variant of LG’s latest flagship has been rooted and also got a TWRP recovery. The G5 development has now taken a flight and there sure is going to be a bunch of custom ROMs, MODs and tweaks to play with this device. LG G5 H850’s custom recovery is the TWRP 3.0.2 which is the latest version of TWRP with a new UI. On the plus, you can flash SuperSu once you’ve installed this recovery and it will root your phone in order to open your gate towards the customization world of Android. You can go ahead in this on-going guide to learn how to install TWRP recovery and root LG G5 H850.
Before we jump up to the guide, we will have a recap of the LG G5. The G5 was introduced by LG in February 2016. LG G5 flaunts a 5.3-inch QHD display. The G5 runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow under LG’s Optimus UX 5.0 UI. Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 CPU accompanied by Adreno 530 GPU is powering up the G5. A RAM of 4 GB is plugged inside and the internal storage begins from 32 GB. There’s an external SD card slot as well in this phone. LG G5 has a 16 MP camera on the back and an 8 MP camera on the front. LG G5 happens to be a unique smartphone as it supports several modules that can enhance your mobile experience up to a great mark.
As we move towards flashing a TWRP recovery and rooting our beloved G5, the very first thing that we will have to do is to unlock the bootloader of this phone. Have a look on the installation preparations and then proceed with the flashing and rooting steps.
- This guide is intended for LG G5 H850 only. Do not try this on any other variant of the LG G5 or else you will result in bricking your device. Check your device’s model number in Settings > About device.
- Charge your LG G5 up to 50% to ensure power backup during flashing process.
- Backup your important contacts, sms messages, call logs and also copy your media content to your PC.
- Enable OEM Unlocking on your LG G5. Also, enable USB debugging on your phone as well.
- Use OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and your phone.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Download and install LG USB drivers on your computer.
- Unlock the bootloader of your LG G5 by following the instructions on LG’s official bootloader unlock page.
How to install TWRP Recovery and Root the LG G5 now
- Make sure that you’ve unlocked the bootloader of your LG G5.
- Now download the TWRP Recovery.img file and rename it as twrp.img only.
- Copy the renamed twrp.img file to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder that you’ve got in your Windows installation drive
- Download SuperSU.zip file and copy it to your LG G5’s external storage.
- Enable OEM unlocking and allow USB debugging on your phone.
- Now connect your LG G5 to your PC and open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe from your desktop or open the command window using the instructions listed in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot guide.
- Now in the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now disconnect your phone from your PC and plug out the battery.
- Put the battery back in your phone and boot into recovery mode directly. To do so, Press and hold Volume down + Power button.
- As soon as you find the LG logo on you the screen, leave the power button and quickly press it again. Do not leave the Volume down button during this step.
- Keep holding the Volume Down and Power key unless you see the Factory Reset option on the screen.
- Follow on-screen instructions and perform a factory reset now.
- Once done, you’re all set to flash SuperSU.zip in TWRP. As you’ve copied SuperSU.zip into external SD card, you will first need to mount your external SD card by using mount option in TWRP. Once you’ve mounted external SD card, get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap “Install > Locate the SuperSU.zip file in external storage and flash it.
- Once SuperSU has been flashed, you can safely boot into the system now as TWRP will also stick here.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 18, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017