It’s time to fuel up your edge-less Xiaomi Mi Mix with the help of a custom recovery and root access. The famous TWRP custom recovery and root access has now been made possible for the Xiaomi Mi Mix. Follow this very easy guide to install TWRP and Root Xiaomi Mi Mix.
Xiaomi took the Android smartphone world by storm when it released the edge-less Mi Mix back in November, 2016. Mi Mix came out as a true rockstar equipping top of the line specifications packed inside a very beautiful body. The 6.-4 inch display rocked 1080×2040 pixels resolution. Mi Mix originall ran on Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box with the plans to get Android Nougat update. Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 CPU with Adreno 530 GPU powered up the phone. The phone either had 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage or 6GB RAM and 256 GB internal storage. Mi Mix has a 16MP shooter at the back and 5MP on the front. Xiaomi Mi Mix looks stunning in its original form, but you can further enhance your smartphone by means of a custom recovery and root access and that’s what we are exactly up to.
Disclaimer: Processes like flashing custom recoveries, custom ROMs and rooting the smartphones are not recommended by the smartphone manufacturers. These processes are highly custom and involve the risk of bricking your smartphone. To prevent any mishap, follow the steps given in the guide below to the letter. In case of a mishap, the device manufacturers, TechBeasts or the recovery/root developers may not be held responsible.
Precautions & Preparation
- This guide is intended for Xiaomi Mi Mix. Do not try this method on any other device otherwise you may result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged up to 80% in order to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Backup all of your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content to stay on a safe end.
- Unlock the bootloader of your Mi Mix. Follow this thread on Miui forums to unlock.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your Xiaomi Mi Mix in developer options. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options in settings now. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging. If you have the “OEM Unlocking“ option, enable it as well.
- Use your original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Required downloads & installations
- Download and install Xiaomi USB drivers.
- Download and install Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your phone’s internal storage after unlocking the bootloader.
- Download no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip and copy it to your phone’s internal storage a well in the step
How To Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi Mix
- Download twrp-3.0.2-0-lithium.img. Rename the downloaded file to only “recovery.img” to make the process easy.
- Copy recovery.img file to Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder which is located in program files in your windows installation drive.
- Now boot your Xiaomi Mi Mix into fastboot mode as suggested in the step 4 above.
- Connect your Xiaomi Mi Mix to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe explained in step 3 above.
- Now in the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot recovery or use the Volume Up + Down + Power combination to get into TWRP now.
(this will boot your device in TWRP recovery mode)
- At this point, TWRP will ask you whether you want to allow system modifications. Typically, you would want to allow modifications. By swiping right, you will trigger the dm-verity verification. Right after triggering it, you will have to flash SuperSU and the dm-verity-opt-encrypt on your phone.
- Go ahead now and flash the SuperSU by tapping the Install option. In case your phone’s storage isn’t working, you will have to perform a data wipe to enable storage. After wiping the data, go back to the main menu and tap the “Mount” option and then tap Mount USB Storage.
- After mounting USB storage, connect your phone to your PC and transfer SuperSU.zip file to your phone.
- Through all this process, do not restart your phone. Stay in the TWRP recovery.
- Now get back to the main menu and once again tap “Install > Locate newly copied SuperSU.zip file and flash it”. Similarly flash the no-dm-verity-opt-encrypt file as well.
- After flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone. You are all done.
- Your device will boot up now. Find SuperSu in app drawer. Install Root Checker app to verify root access.
To boot manually in to TWRP recovery mode, unplug USB cable from your Xiaomi Mi Mix and turn off your device completely by keeping the power key pressed for a while. Now press and hold Volume Down + Power Key to turn on your Xiaomi Mi Mix. As soon as your phone’s screen turns on, leave the Power Key and keep the Volume Down Key pressed. Your device will now boot into TWRP recovery mode.
Don’t forget to create a Nandroid Backup for your Xiaomi Mi Mix now. Also checkout how to use Titanium Backup since you’ve got your phone rooted. That’s all. Stuck with something? Don’t worry! Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017