Samsung won’t be updating the international variant of the Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Samsung’s excuse for not rolling out this update to the international users is the RAM optimization for the KitKat. The great work done by XDA recognized contributor JustArchi and few others is good enough to show Samsung that Galaxy S3 is capable of running Android 4.4.2 KitKat without any hiccups here and there.
These guys have ported the stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat from the Galaxy Note 2 to the Galaxy S3. The firmware is in “Work In Progress” state at the moment and still is under testing, however those Android enthusiasts who can’t just site idle with their devices may want to give it a try and checkout how Galaxy S3 treats the stock KitKat. In the following post we are going to install this stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat ported from Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Before we head towards the installation instructions, the only thing you need to keep in mind is, as mentioned, this firmware is in development stages and there are high chances of bugs and it isn’t said to be stable, nor it should be kept for everyday’s use. Make sure that you only install this firmware if you’re good with modifying and tweaking your Android device and you’re well familiar with custom ROMs.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S III GT-I9300. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model in Settings > About Device > Model.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data. Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
How to Install Stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download latest Stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat Preview .zip file.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy the .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Android 4.4.2 KitKat.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
In case you got any issues or you face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017