It’s been almost 3 weeks since the Remix OS 2.0 has landed in. In case you don’t already know about this new OS, it’s a new software built by Jide in collaboration with Android-x86 project. Remix OS is the kind of Android virtual operating system that simply puts the traditional Android emulators to dust. If you’re an Android freak, you must have given a try to a variety of Android emulators like BlueStacks, BlueStacks 2, Andy OS, Droid4X etc. None of these emulators could work up to the expectation of users and provide a smooth experience. Remix OS 2.0 fulfils these requirements of Android freaks by allowing them to take their full Android experience to either a Windows PC / laptop and also a Mac OS X Macbook, iMac.
After getting my hands on Remix OS 2.0, I could easily declare that it was the best ever Android emulator that I ever came across. Remix OS gives you the freedom to use Android on your PC just as you would use on an Android smartphone or a tablet. You can setup your Android device and use it the way you wish. You can install applications, games, access the web, watch youtube videos, install communication applications, use bluetooth and a lot more. Jide has definitely worked hard on the UI of Remix OS. Remix OS 2.0 hosts a remarkable bunch of graphics. After playing some games on Remix OS 2.0, I fell in love with it and wanted to share the method to install it on a Macbook or iMac with our beloved viewers.
Installing Remix OS 2.0 on a Windows PC is pretty easy. Remix OS comes with a USB boot tool that makes a Remix OS 2.0 bootable USB for your Windows PC. Unfortunately, it doesn’t contain any such tool for Mac OS X. In order to install Remix OS 2.0 on Mac OS X, you need to follow a little different method. In case you’re here to find the method, then you’re most welcome to go ahead and get Remix OS 2.0 running on your Mac OS X powered Macbook or iMac right away.
How to install Remix OS 2.0 on Macbook & iMac
Required downloads & hardware
- Download Remix OS 2.0.iso file and rename it to simply “Remix_OS.iso” to avoid any confusion during the whole process. Copy this file to your Macbook or iMac’s desktop.
- You need a USB 3.0 stick with 8-16 GB storage. I personally used a SanDisk 32 GB USB 3.0 pen drive. Note that a USB 2.0 won’t work with it.
- Download and install UNetBootin on your Mac OS X device.
- A Macbook Pro, Macbook Air or an iMac.
- Convert Remix OS 2.0.iso file to Remix OS 2.0.img file
First of all we need to convert the Remix OS 2.0.iso file into Remix OS 2.0.img file in order to make a bootable USB. Make sure that you’ve renamed the downloaded Remix OS 2.0.iso file to Remix_OS.iso. Now in order to get this done, follow these steps carefully.
- Open “Terminal” on your Mac OS X device. You can open terminal from the launchpad or by simply pressing command + space key and typing “terminal”.
- Now in terminal, type the following command and hit enter:
- Once done, the Terminal will drop a new file on your desktop named as Remix_OS.img.dmg. Rename this file to “Remix_OS.img” only.
2. Format your USB 3.0 pen drive to MS-DOS (FAT) format.
- Plug in the USB 3.0 disk into your Mac OS X device.
- Open Disk Utility on your Mac OS X device.
- Now in Disk Utility, select the device that you’ve just plugged in.
- Click on Erase.
- In the Partition Map Scheme select “Master Boot Record”.
- Erase the device using MS-DOS (FAT) format. The USB device will be completely erased and ready to write the Remix OS 2.0 on it.
3. Make the USB Bootable using UNetbootin to boot Remix OS 2.0
- Download and install UNetbootin as mentioned in the required downloads section above.
- Open UNetbootin on your Mac OS X.
- Click on “Disk Image” option.
- Now click on the three dots in the same line where Disk Image is and select the Remix_OS.img file from your desktop.
- Now there will be “Floppy” appearing right next to Disk Image. Click on Floppy and change it to “ISO”.
- Now click on “Ok” and it will start writing Remix OS 2.0 to make the bootable Remix OS 2.0 USB for you.
- Wait until the process is complete, it can take up to 10 – 15 minutes. Once done, head towards the next step.
4. Boot into Remix OS 2.0
We are now ready to boot into Remix OS 2.0. Let’s have a look on the instructions.
- Shut down your Macbook Pro, iMac or Macbook Air.
- Make sure that the USB 3.0 pen drive is plugged into your device.
- Now turn on your Mac OS X computer and press and hold the “Option” key to get to the boot menu.
- In the boot menu, it will ask you whether you want to boot into Macintosh HD or Windows. If Windows doesn’t appear here, that means something went wrong with your bootable disk, you may consider repeating the first 3 steps to make the bootable USB once again. If Windows appears here, you’re all good to go ahead.
- Click on “Windows” now and sit back tighter as you’re all set to enjoy Remix OS now.
- The Remix OS will boot up now and ask you whether you want to go ahead as a “Guest” or in the “Resident Mode”.
- You will probably want to go with “Resident Mode” as it will keep all your data saved, so select it.
- Now a screen will come up showing you different logs, wait until it set ups the whole Remix OS for you. It can take a few minutes so wait patiently.
- Once the Resident Mode has been set up, it will boot you into the Remix OS.
- Phewww! It’s time to set up the Remix OS 2.0 now.
5. Setting up Remix OS 2.0
- As Remix OS 2.0 boots up, you will find Remix OS logo on the screen. Wait for a while till it takes you to the configuration screen.
- Once you’re into the beautiful welcome screen of Remix OS, you will be required to choose the language. Select your desired language and click next.
- Now you will be displayed with the User Agreement. Read it and click next.
- Now you will have to connect to the internet. Select your WiFi connection and connect it.
- Once you’re done and Remix OS displays a “Setup is complete” message, click Start.
- That’s all. You will be amazed seeing the home-screen of Remix OS 2.0 now.
- Congratulations. You’ve successfully setup and installed Remix OS 2.0 on your Macbook Pro, Macbook Air or iMac device.
6. Install Google Play Services and Google Play Store on your Remix OS 2.0
Remix OS 2.0 comes with a bunch of handy applications, but it misses the important applications like Google Play Services and Google Play Store which are actually your way towards the freedom in the world of Android. You will want to install Google Play Services and Google Play Store right after setting up Remix OS 2.0, so here are the instructions to do so.
- Download and install GMInstaller.apk file on your Remix OS 2.0. You can download this file straight to your Remix OS 2.0 by using its browser and you can also copy this file to your Remix OS using a USB drive.
- Now click on the app drawer icon on the bottom left and open GMInstaller application.
- Now click on “One-click to install Google Services” and let it install all Google Services on your newly setup Remix OS.
- Once done, go to settings in app drawer. In settings, open applications and locate Google Play Services.
- Clear the cache of Google Play Services.
- Restart your Remix OS 2.0.
- Start using Google Play Store and download your desired applications.
- That’s all. Best of luck 🙂
So, that was all with the Remix OS 2.0 installation and configuration. Let us know how did this go for you. In case you’re stuck with something or you’ve got any queries, feel free to reach us out through the comments section.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016