Previously we posted the Rooting method and installing TWRP on Moto G 2104, but frankly speaking, not all the users like the TWRP recovery, they feel much better using the CWM recovery, if fact they don’t even try to flash Mods and Custom ROMs while they are using the TWRP recovery, despite that TWRP recovery for a device is always released faster than the CWM recovery, till then the users remains on the TWRP, and once the CWM is out, they switch and they are those who had no other way to root their device except by Flashing the Super SU by recovery. Many recoveries are then developed using TWRP as base, yet not much success is created by it. In my Opinion,as a fan of CWM Recovery, TWRP is more like a recovery for a developer, not for a genuine user.
On the other hand, CWM recovery has another advance version called b, which has most of those features that you are missing in the CWM Recovery. The full touch interface not only gives you more ease but also removes the Strictness of using the buttons for selection, although you can use these buttons too. PhilZ Touch 6 Recovery is now available for Moto G 2014, if you are not a fan on TWRP recovery, then this is the best solution for you too get out of it, nothing except the Custom Recovery in your device will change, from TWRP to PhilZ Touch Recovery.
This is only for Moto G 2014 (2nd GEN)
This Method is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
Unlock the Bootloader
Visit Motorola Website to Unlock the Bootloader of Moto G 2014 as it is one of the main requirement to Install the Custom Recovery and rooting the device.
Configure ADB and Fastboot
Since we are going to use command prompt to flash the recovery, it requires a Working fastboot and adb, Follow the link to Configure Fastboot for your device
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Google in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility
PhilZ Touch Recovery: Link (titan)
Super SU: Link (If you want to root your device)
How To Install PhilZ Touch Recovery:
- Download recovery from above.
- Copy the recovery to fastboot folder.
- Open Bootloader/Fastboot mode. How? Connect your device with PC and open Command prompt in fastboot folder,How? Hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the Fastboot folder
- Now Type: adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Bootloader, type in the following command: fastboot flash recovery CWM_Touch_Titan.img Press Enter.
- Then type in the following command: fastboot reboot.
- After the reboot, take out the battery and wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Then re-insert the battery
How To Flash Super SU for Rooting:
- Download Super SU from Above link.
- Copy it to the root of your sdcard.
- Connect your device with PC.
- Boot into Recovery, How? Connect your device with PC,Open Command prompt in fastboot folder.
- Now Type: adb reboot recovery
- Go to Main Menu and Tap Flash Zip.
- Locate the Super SU.zip, and Tap on it To install it.
- Once the Installation is over, Go Back and Choose Reboot System Now.
- Now check Super User app in Drawer or use any root checker app to verify
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016
- How to Install Android 6.0.1 Renegade ROM on Galaxy S6 Edge G925P - April 3, 2016