LG G Watch’s Android development has got a kick start now as the device is already out. The Android nature of this device will surely let the users play with it and flash and tweak the device to its maximum extent. The very basic thing that paves a way for all the Mods, custom ROMs and tweaks into an Android device is a custom recovery. A while ago we posted the guide to install TWRP Recovery and Root the G Watch, but we guess having some more options on the list isn’t bad so we found out the CWM recovery for the G Watch that the succeeding post will teach you to install if you happen to be a lucky owner of this cool little gadget.
The ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery is developed by XDA developer PlayFulGod. It’s based on the version 220.127.116.11 and will let you perform all the basic tasks that you expect a CWM recovery to perform. One of the cool features you will find on this recovery is the touch, unlike the ordinary CWM recoveries, this recovery is touch enabled so that means you don’t need to bother about the buttons of your G Watch. Let’s go through the pre-installation instructions and then flash the CWM 18.104.22.168 recovery on your LG G Watch.
1. This guide is only for LG G Watch!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Android ADB & Fastboot Drivers
Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers are required to install this recovery. You may find our full guide to install ADB & Fastboot drivers or checkout our Minimal ADB & Fastboot guide and go with the one that suites you. Follow the instructions explained in these guides being very careful so that you don’t result in making a mistake.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is LG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility
How To Install CWM Recovery on LG G Watch:
- Download recovery-22.214.171.124-dory.img file.
- Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img for your convenience.
- Copy the downloaded and renamed file “recovery.img” to the Fastboot or Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder that you got after using ADB & Fastboot or Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers installation. In case you’re confused with this step, read the guides linked in the step 4 above once again.
- Now connect your LG G Watch to your PC.
- Now open the Fastboot or Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder. Press and hold the Shift Key, and while keeping it pressed Right Click on the blank area/space within either of these folders and then click on “Open command prompt/window here”.
- Once the command prompt opens up, issue the following command: adb devices
- This will enlist the devices connected with your PC, make sure that there is only one device that should be your LG G Watch. Just in case there are two or more devices connected, it may not let you flash the recovery. You need to disconnect/remove unnecessary devices first.
- Ok once the device is listed successfully, issue the following commands in the command prompt.
adb reboot bootloader – (this will reboot your G Watch in bootloader mode).
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img – (this will flash the recovery in your LG G Watch).
fastboot reboot – (this will reboot your G Watch once the flashing process is successfully over).
adb reboot recovery – (this will reboot your G Watch in the recovery mode).
- Phewwww! That’s all you’re all done. Unleash the true power of your Android Wear powered LG G Watch now!
That’s all. If you find the recovery useful, make sure that you donate to the original developer in order to appreciate his hardwork. Those of you having any issues or difficulties regarding this post can leave their comments in the comment box below. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download and install Hydrogen OS 3.0 on OnePlus 3/3T - February 20, 2017
- How to install TWRP on HTC U Ultra and Root it - February 20, 2017
- Install Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7 Active SM-G891A - February 19, 2017