Sony Xperia Z3 turns out to be the very first Non-Nexus device to join the Android N Developer Preview list. Sony just dropped the Android N Developer Preview for its Xperia Z3 yesterday. The preview is available for Xperia Z3 D6603, D6643 and D6653. The firmware carries the build number NPC91K. Surprisingly, the FTF files of the Android N Developer Preview for the Xperia Z3 are also available. This means you can now update your Sony Xperia Z3 to the Android N Developer Preview to get a glimpse of Google’s upcoming iteration of Android.
Android N Developer Preview will allow the Xperia Z3 owners to get their hands on some new features like double tap to wake, Sony’s new camera enhancements, better battery life and performance stability. A hefty list of new features is making its way in the Android N. Android N is set to come out of the curtains in Q3, 2016. While Google is cooking up the Android N and deciding its final name, the Xperia Z3 users can enjoy this Developer Preview to relax themselves.
The method illustrated here will help you to install Android N Developer Preview on your Xperia Z3 D6603, D6643 and also the D6653 variant. It can be flashed as the normal FTF file. The steps are discussed in the installation section below. Before jumping straight up to the procedure, it’s important to apply some precautions.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z3.
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here. After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it.Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z3 drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia Z3 To Android N Developer Preview Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android N Developer Preview NPC91K FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia Z3, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, Do not leave the Volume Down key until the process is complete.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed the Android N Developer Preview on your Xperia Z3. Enjoy.
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Root and Install TWRP on Android 7.0 Nougat Galaxy S7/S7 Edge [Verified Method] - January 23, 2017
- How to fix Google Chrome performance issues on Mac OS X/MacOS Sierra - January 22, 2017
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017