Sony Xperia SP users, there’s a good news for all of you. Android 7.0 Nougat CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM is finally available for the Xperia SP. The ROM is already in its beta stage and it’s continuously improving. You will find the mainstream features working right. It might have some bugs, but if you have had an experience with the custom ROMs in past, those bugs shouldn’t haunt you at all. The great thing here is that you get to enjoy the latest and greatest version of Android on your pretty old Xperia SP.
CyanogenMod 14 and CyanogenMod 14 are the aftermarket distribution firmwares of Android Nougat. Xperia SP’s official updates ended up on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Having Android 7.1 Nougat running on this device isn’t less then a blessing. Features like Camera, WiFi, Bluetooth, Phone, Data, GPS, Camera are working fine. AOSP sensors and Gyroscope are also working. Your phone will also support MicroSD on this ROM. Video and Audio are also working. While this covers up most of the everyday-use features, the ROM turns out to be a good option to go with. You will need a custom recovery to flash this ROM on your Xperia SP.
As you move forward, you will come across a tutorial which will educate you on how to install Android 7.1 Nougat on Xperia SP using CM 14.1 custom ROM. The ROM will work with Xperia SP C5302 and C5303. Go through the early preparations and get done with it now.
- This custom ROM is only for Sony Xperia SP C5302 and C5303. Do not try this on any other device. Check your device’s model number in settings > about device.
- Charge your phone up to 50% in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked. Here’s a guide on how to unlock it.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed on it. You can install custom recovery. A method to install custom recovery is listed below.
- Once you’ve installed a custom recovery, don’t forget to create a Nandroid backup of your current system. This is highly recommended so that in case something goes wrong with the new custom ROM, you can still revert everything back and get your old system back.
- Backup your important contacts, messages, call logs and all media content as you will have to wipe your phone before flashing latest firmware.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A CUSTOM ROM. LOADING CUSTOM STUFF ON YOUR ANDROID DEVICE IS HIGHLY RISKY. IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG WHILE OR AFTER FLASHING THIS CUSTOM ROM, WE OR THE DEVICE MANUFACTURERS MAY NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. MAKE SURE THAT WHATEVER YOU’RE GOING TO DO, YOU’RE DOING AT YOUR OWN RISK.
How to install Android 7.1 Nougat on Xperia SP using CM 14.1
- First of all you need a custom recovery on your device. And to install a custom recovery, you need to root your Xperia SP first of all.
- Once you’re rooted, download twrp-126.96.36.199-huashan.img file and copy it to your phone’s SD card.
- Now download and install Rashr – Flashtool on your phone.
- Now open Rashr from the app drawer.
- Tap “Select Recovery From Storage” option and select the copied twrp-188.8.131.52-huashan.img file.
- Grant SuperSu right and follow on-screen instructions to flash the recovery.
Here’s how to install the ROM now.
- Download cm-14.1-xxxxxxxx-UNOFFICIAL-BETA-huashan.zip file.
- Download GApps.zip [micro-ARM-Android 7.0/7.1 Nougat].
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to your phone’s SD card.
- Now turn off your phone completely. Now turn on your phone, as soon as Sony logo appears, press the volume up key to boot into recovery mode.
- As you’ve booted in to the recovery mode, tap the “Wipe & Format Option” and perform a factory reset.
- Go back to the main menu in recovery and tap “Install > locate the CM-14-ROM.zip file that you copied to your SD card.”.
- Similarly, flash GApps for Android 7.1 Nougat using the “Install” option.
- Once done, reboot your device.
- It will now boot up running CyanogenMod 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat. Thats all. Enjoy!
Stuck with something? Don’t worry. Reach us out through the comment box below. We will help you at our best!
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to install Magisk Systemless Interface on Android - April 22, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S8 Not registered on network - April 22, 2017
- How to fix LG G4 that keeps restarting itself - April 22, 2017