Samsung unveiled the Galaxy Gear at the IFA event held in Berlin on 4th of Sept, 2013 as an accessory to Galaxy Note 3. The little gadget sports 1.63 inch Super AMOLED dispaly with 320 x 320 resolution. It has got an 800 MHz Exynos CPU running inside along with a RAM of 512 MB. On board it has 4 GB storage capacity. The device boasts off a beautiful 1.9 MP camera on the strap that is capable of recording videos upto 720p. Under the hood it has got a 315 mAh battery. Samsung installed some apps in the device, the device also features Samsung apps that allows you install the apps compatible with the Galaxy Gear.
If you’re an Android freak and love playing with the gadgets, and if you also own a Galaxy Gear smart watch, then the time to tinker it has come now. The very first custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Gear is up now. Despite being a watch that shows you the time to get your things done, the device plays the role of a small Android smartphone as it allows you to view your messages, social media feeds or receive calls etc, but since the custom ROM is up for Galaxy Gear, the little 1.68 inches screen may be used more or less, as a smartphone with the SIM installed in another device. Let’s have a look at the features of this ROM as per stated by the developer.
- MK7 BASE
- COMPLETELY DEODEXED
- NOVALAUNCHER INCLUDED
- HOMEBUTTON FIX / POWER BUTTON LOCKS SCREEN WHEN USING CUSTOM LAUNCHERS.
- NO WIPE BASE
- WEATHER WIDGET / REMOVED STATIC “WEATHER” TEXT
- DISABLED SAMSUNG SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
- NATIVE APK INSTALLATION
- INCREASED VIDEO RECORDING LIMIT TO 60 SECONDS
- VPN ENABLED
- CM10.2 BROWSER
- WALLPAPER SUPPORT
- LIVE WALLPAPER SUPPORT
- CM10.2 GALLERY
- THIRD PARTY CONTACT WIDGET & APP CRASH FIX
- SETTINGS / FULL SETTINGS DIALOG
- MTP SUPPORT / ENABLED IN STORAGE SETTINGS
- BLUETOOTH TETHERING
- MULTIPLE BLUETOOTH DEVICE PAIRING
- NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT
- CONTACTS SYNC
- CALENDAR SYNC
- PLAYSTORE ACCESS
- DOWNLOAD MANAGER
- AOSP KEYBOARD
So, are you willing to get this ROM running your Galaxy Gear? Let’s move forward and get it installed.
Here are some pre-requisites that you need to follow.
- Your Galaxy Gear must be rooted, and also have TWRP recovery Installed.
- Using TWRP Recovery, Backup your current ROM so that just in case something goes wrong, you can immediately go back to your previously working stock ROM.
- Make sure that your Galaxy Gear’s battery is charged at least over 60%.
- Backup your important data placed on your Galaxy Gear’s sd card.
- Follow this guide to the letter to complete the process successfully.
How to Flash a Custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear:
- Download the MK7 based Custom ROM for Galaxy Gear and place the downloaded.zip file on your Gear’s SDcard.
- Enter TWRP recovery on your Galaxy Gear. To do so, press and hold Power Key on your Galaxy Gear until you see the rebooting screen, as soon as rebooting appears, press the Power Key quickly for 5 times until you enter the recovery mode. Press the Power button to navigate to the Recovery mode and highlight it, now when highlighted Recovery Mode hold the Power Key for 3 seconds, it should not enter into TWRP Recovery.
- Select Install in TWRP Recovery.
- Select the downloaded custom rom.zip file in TWRP recovery install mode.
- Wait for the ROM to flash, as soon as it completes reboot.
- Congrats! You’ve installed the custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear.
Enjoy the newly installed custom ROM with tons of features, do let us know what do you experience. Just in case of any queries, feel free to stop by the comment box below. Thanks All.