Galaxy S6 G920S has started receiving Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow official update in South Korea. The update is happening over-the-air and through Samsung Kies. Samsung has surprised the users today after making them wait for months, so the users will definitely want to update their devices without any further delay. If the OTA update or the Samsung Kies update hasn’t followed your way yet, you may be in need of an alternative method to update your Galaxy S6 G920S to official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware.
Apart from the OTA and Samsung Kies update, another method to install latest version of Android on your Galaxy S6 is by means of Odin3 which is Samsung’s flashtool. Odin3 is pretty handy whether you want to update your device to official firmware, or you want to unroot your device to restore it to factory state or if you want to recovery your device from a soft-bricked state. In our case, we need to update the Galaxy S6 to latest stock firmware, so we will be using Odin only for that purpose.
As you begin to update your Galaxy S6, be reminded that this is an official and completely untouched firmware. It doesn’t involve any risk as long as you are following all the instructions properly and carefully. Flashing this firmware will not even void the warranty of your device. It will simply make the latest Android version run on your device within a few minutes without any wait. All you need to do is, you need to download the latest firmware which is attached below and then you need to follow the instructions given below to be successful in this process. Let’s go down now and flash official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S6 G920S.
1. This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S6 G920S
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery should not be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM data cable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
5. Install Samsung USB drivers
In order to be able to establish connection between your PC and your Galaxy S6, you need to have the Samsung USB drivers installed on your PC. You can find all Android USB drivers here on our site.
6. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firwmrae. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
Required Downloads & Installations
- Model: SM-G920S – Galaxy S6
- Country: Korea (SK Telecom)
- Version: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- Changelist: 7037264
- PDA: G920SKU3DPAC
- CSC: G920SSK3DPAC
- Build Date: January 22, 2016.
How To Flash Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S6 G920S
- Make sure that you read the instructions listed above carefully and you’re all set to go ahead now.
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation. You may boot into the recovery mode and perform a factory data reset.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your Galaxy S6 in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 or 3.10.6 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, The flashing process box will turn green upon successful flashing.
- Once the flashing process has been completed successfully, disconnect your device and reboot it manually.
- Once the device boots up, checkout the new firmware now.
- Your device will be running on official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware.
- Once updated to stock, do not try to downgrade, or else you will result in messing up EFS partition of your device.
- That’s all!
Got any queries? Make sure that you drop em’ in the comment box below. Good Luck!