Sony unveiled its latest flagship, the Xperia Z3 on 3rd of September, 2014. The device is a minor upgrade over the Xperia Z2, there aren’t any hardware changes but there surely is a number of new features packed up inside the device’s software. On the front there’s a 5.2 inches full HD screen, a 20.7 MP shooter is fixed at the back and a 2.2 MP on the front. There’s a 3 GB RAM on the board. Xperia Z3 is powered up with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 801 Quad Core CPU clocked at 2.5 GHz accompanied by Adreno 330 GPU. Out of the box, Xperia Z3 runs on Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
Well, I guess that was enough to give you guys a flashback of the Xperia Z3. In case you’re planning to get your hands on this new beast by Sony, you would like to unleash the true power of your device as soon as you start exploring it. The very thing that will let you do so is the root access and to go beyond the boundaries a little further, you will need a custom recovery as well. Thanks to XDA senior member monx who just came up with Adv Stock Kernel for the Xperia Z3 that will let you load TWRP 2.8 recovery on your device and you can root it once you have the recovery running on it. That means you won’t have to wait once you get your device, the device isn’t available around the world as yet and the recovery and root access are already available, this definitely happens to be a great development. Before you start looking out for the methods to install recovery and gain root access, we’ve already done this job for you.
As you move forward in the proceeding post, you will come across a comprehensive guide that will help you to install TWRP 220.127.116.11 recovery on your Sony Xperia Z3 D6653, D6633 and D6603 and you will be able to root your device as well. Let’s go through the instructions now and get across the wall now.
1. This is only for Sony Xperia Z3 D6653, D6633, D6603!
This guide is only for the devices mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing these files on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. You must have Android ADB & Fastboot drivers installed
Android ADB & Fastboot drivers are essential for flashing Adv. Stock Kernel. That’s how you will load the .img file on your device. You may install em’ using the full guide here or use the Minimal ADB & Fastboot guide.
6. Your device’s bootloader must be unlocked
You can only flash Adv. Stock Kernel if your device has an unlocked bootloader. You can read all about unlocking your device’s bootloader and unlock it using this guide. Make sure that you do this carefully.
7. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How to Install TWRP Recovery On Sony Xperia Z3
Download Advanced Stock Kernel according to your device:
- D6653/D6603 [23.0.A.2.93 Firmware] bootZ3monxtest01.img – 12.75 MB
- D6633 [23.0.F.1.74] bootZ3dualmonxtest01.img – 12.75 MB
- Download Advanced Stock Kernel.img from above.
- Place the downloaded .img file in the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder that you created using our ADB & Fastboot Quick Setup Guide.
- If you are using Android ADB & Fastboot full package, you can place the downloaded Recovery.img file in the Fastboot folder or in the Platform-tools folder.
- Open the folder where you placed the Boot.img file. E.g Minimal ADB & Fastboot or Fastboot or Platform Tools.
- Press and hold the shift key and right click on an empty area within the folder, and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Turn off your Xperia Z3 completely.
- Now press the Volume Up Key and while keeping it pressed plug in the USB cable.
- You should see a blue light in the notification light of your phone, that means your device is now connected in Fastboot mode.
- Now type the following command:
fastboot flash boot [filename].img
- Hit Enter and it will quickly flash TWRP recovery in your Xperia Z3.
- Once recovery is flashed, now issue this command
- Your device will reboot now, as soon as you see the Sony logo, and the pink LED, press Volume Up & Down Key simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- Congrats! You should now see the custom recovery.
How To Root Your Xperia Z3
- Download latest SuperSu.zip file.
- Copy the downloaded .zip file to your phone’s sd card.
- Now boot your device into recovery mode using the step 12 explained above.
- Once you’re in TWRP recovery, tap “Install > locate SuperSu.zip” and flash it.
- One done flashing, reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- That’s all. You can install “Root Checker” from Play Store and verify root access.
That’s all. If you have any queries regarding this guide, make sure that you drop em’ in the comment box below. We will definitely get back to you as soon as we receive em’. Thank you all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017
- Download Yu Gi Oh Duel Links for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017