While no one expected the very first mini device by Samsung to receive the latest and greatest version of Android, Android 4.4.2 KitKat, At&t made a nice move and updated its Galaxy S3 Mini modeled as SM-G730A to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The device sports almost same specifications to that of the ordinary Galaxy S3 Mini which includes a 4.0-inch Super AMOLED dispaly, 1 GB RAM, 8 GB internal storage, 2000 mAh battery, 5 MP cam at the back and a VGA cam for secondary video on the front. This device is also powered up with a 1.2 GHz Dual Core CPU. Initially the At&t Galaxy S3 Mini also ran on Android Jelly Bean, but the device has now taken the lead it’s the only Mini S3 running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
The update packs up new UI for some of the applications. White icons atop of the transparent notification bar, new music widget on the lock screen and so many new features have been added. There’s a number of bugs fixed in this update, performance and stability enhancements have been made. At&t has rolled out the latest update based on the build UCUBNG3, the update will reach different users through Samsung Kies or through OTA, but just in case you haven’t received this update and you’re impatient to run Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your At&t Galaxy S3 Mini, you may consider updating your device manually.
Before you wonder how you can do so, we’ve already done the job for you. As you move forward in the succeeding guide, you will find a comprehensive guide that will help you to update your At&t Galaxy S3 Mini SM-G730A to Android 4.4.2 KitKat UCUBNG3 official firmware using Odin3. All you need is, you need to follow this guide being very careful.
Here are the firmware details:
- Device: At&t Galaxy S3 Mini SM-G730A
- OS: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Region: At&t
- Build: G730AUCUBNG3
- Changelist: 1670137
- Build Date: 24/7/2014
1. This guide is only for At&t Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini SM-G730A!
Make sure that your device is exactly as mentioned above. To check out what device you have, go to Settings > More/General > About Device or Settings > About Device and match the model number. Be careful about the device model number, flashing a file on a device not listed here might result in bricking it up. In that case, we may not be held responsible.
2. Battery should be charged at least 60%!
Your device’s battery shouldn’t be weak. In case your device goes dead during the flashing process, your device may get soft bricked and you might be in need of flashing stock firmware and that will ultimately result in wiping up your data as well. So, make sure that you charge your device before you start the flashing process.
3. Use the OEM datacable to establish connection!
Always use the original data cable to establish connection between your Android device and your computer / laptop. Using ordinary data cables might interrupt the flashing process, so to avoid any mishap, you need to meet this requirement as well.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. Also, clean install is always recommended, that means you will probably have to wipe your device to install the new firmware. So, you may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Backup EFS
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously.
5. Turn off Samsung Kies and other softwares while using Odin3!
Make sure that you turn off Samsung Kies while using Odin3 flashtool. Samsung Kies will interrupt Odin3 and will result in causing errors and may not let you flash your desired firwmrae. Also, make sure that you turn off any antivirus software you’ve installed and also disable firewall to avoid any connection and flashing issues.
How To Install Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat On At&t Galaxy S3 Mini SM-G730A
- Download and extract Odin3 v3.09.
- Download and Install Samsung USB drivers .
- Download and extract firmware file ATT-G730AUCUBNG3-20140912202239.zip
- Wipe your device complete in order to attain a neat installation.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your At&t Galaxy S3 Mini in download mode. To do so, turn it off and wait for 10 seconds. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously, You should see a warning, press Volume Up to continue. In case this method doesn’t work for you, try one from this guide.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- As soon as Odin detects your phone, the ID:COM box should turn blue. Make sure that you’ve installed Samsung USB drivers before connecting.
- For Odin 3.09 hit the AP tab. Select the firmware.tar.md5 or firmware.tar, that you downloaded and extracted above.
- If you’re using Odin 3.07, you will select “PDA” tab instead of the AP tab, rest of the options remain untouched.
- Make sure that the options selected in your Odin are exactly as shown in the pic.
- Hit start and wait till the firmware flashing is complete, as soon as your device restarts, remove it from PC.
- Wait for your device to reboot, as soon as it reboots check out the new firmware!
- That’s all!
We hope that this guide worked perfectly for you. In case you are stuck with something or you are facing any issues regarding this post, make sure that you leave the comments below. We will get back to you immediately. Thank you.