Back in 2012, Mozilla which is well known for its FireFox browser came up with its very own operating system for mobile devices named as FireFox OS. FireFox OS is a linux based open source operating system, which aimed to compete Apple’s iOS, Google’s Android & Microsoft’s Windows Phone. There was a bit of a hype about this OS in the very early days, but later on the OS didn’t do very well. To make this OS work, Mozilla also came up with a smartphone running FireFox OS in collaboration with ZTE. FireFox OS also came for different smartphones in the form of custom ROMs, but the OS didn’t get as popular as desired by Mozilla.
FireFox OS has its very own app store and its specific applications, this OS could be easily ported to any Android device, but Android users probably didn’t want to switch their OS. But FireFox OS sure has got some cool and eye-catching graphics, which may make some Android users fall for this OS and urge them to check it out. If you still want to get a glimpse of FireFox OS on your Android device without switching your ROM, this maybe a chance for you to do it. FireFox OS is now available for Android users in the form of a launcher. You can simply install this launcher and go through the OS quickly to see what it got. You may need to remember that its just a launcher which will only change the graphics of your Android OS to FireFox OS, nothing more then that. Your applications and everything will be that of the Android OS. This launcher has been built by Mozilla developer Fabrice Desré. The application is named as B2Gdroid, which allows you to test the user interface of Mozilla FireFox OS on your Android device.
The APK file of this launcher is of 64 MB, we will be installing it manually on the device. This application works only on ARM architecture devices. Luckily, most of the smartphones have an ARM chipset, so chances are this application is likely to work with your device.
- Download B2GDroid APK file and copy it to your phone.
- Now on your phone, go to settings > security > allow unknown sources.
- Now using a file manager, locate the copied B2GDroid APK file and tap it to begin installation.
- Follow on-screen instructions and install it.
- Once installed, press the home key on your device.
- A pop up will come up asking you about the launcher you want to continue with, select FireFox OS here.
- Now wait for FireFox OS to load, once loaded you can have a glimpse of the OS on your Android device.
- That’s all. Just in case you want to uninstall FireFox OS, just g to settings > application manager > All > Find B2GDroid Fabrice and uninstall it. FireFox OS will be removed from your device and you will be reverted back to your stock launcher.
Please be reminded that this launcher will only give you a test drive of this OS and it definitely isn’t a daily driver. We do not recommend using this as your primary launcher, you can use it as long as you want to check out what FireFox OS has got.