Google Pixel is the new lineup of smartphones and tablets coming out from the Android giant. The Pixel series replaces the Nexus series. There isn’t going to be any other change on these devices. The Android OS running on these devices will still remain pure and stock Android, it’s only the name which has changed. It’s going to be easy to tweak these devices just like the Nexus lineup. Just to give Android users a warning, Google keeps the bootloader of its devices locked. If the users wish to bypass the restrictions, they can unlock the bootloader in a few steps and flash anything on the device.
For those who do not know about bootloader they may be interested in knowing that this part of your device powers your device up right when you turn it on. The bootloader contains the kernel code which is responsible for booting your device. This code also checks the security of your device, is responsible for warnings for modifications and everything else. The bootloader is kept locked to restrict the users from flashing any third party files on the device for the sake of its security. For this reason, the bootloader unlocking wipes your phone completely and also voids the warranty of your device and you are on your own. Once you have unlocked the bootloader of your device, it no longer keeps a security check and it no longer cages the Android users.
Unlocking the bootloader of Google Pixel devices is the same as the Nexus smartphones. It only requires a few commands to unlock it. In this post you will have a look on Google Pixel Unlock Bootloader Guide.
- This guide is only for Google Pixel. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged up to 70% to avoid any power issues.
- Use original data cable to establish connection between your phone and your PC.
- Backup all of your important media content, contacts, call logs and text messages.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options enabled in settings. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging mode.
- Also turn on “Enable OEM Unlocking” under developer options.
- Download and install Google USB drivers.
- Download and setup Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers. Mac users can use this guide to install ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus if you have enabled.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: Methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. In case of a mishap, Techbeasts or Huawei may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Unlock Google Pixel Bootloader
- Turn off your phone completely. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key. This will boot your phone into bootloader mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > press and hold shift key and right click on an empty area within the folder > open command window here. Mac users can see in the Mac guide for the file they will be opening.
- Now in the command window enter the following commands one by one.
- fastboot devices
- This command will verify the connection of your device with your PC in fastboot mode.
- fastboot flashing unlock
- This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the enter key after typing this command, you will get a message in your phone asking for the confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Use volume up & down keys to navigate through options and confirm unlocking.
- fastboot reboot
- This command will reboot your phone. That’s all, disconnect your phone.
- fastboot devices
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How to get WhatsApp Video Call feature right now - October 26, 2016
- Top 5 Android Lockscreen Apps 2016-2017 - October 26, 2016
- Download Smile Inc for PC (Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac) - October 24, 2016