OnePlus was testing the OxygenOS based Android 7.1.1 Nougat for quite a while. Just yesterday, OnePlus broke the silence and rolled out the firmware for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. As expected, the new update brings tons of new features for both these smartphones. Android 7.1.1 Nougat update initially started rolling out through OTA. The OTA zip files have been uploaded as well which means you can now flash them manually to update your phone. Before jumping up to the installation guide, let’s just have a look on what’s new.
First of all, this update changes the Android version from Android 7.0 Nougat to Android 7.1.1 Nougat. OnePlus has added the latest security patch from March 1, 2017 in this update. Expanded screenshots feature has made its way to the phone with this updated. Camera improvements include the moving object photography improvement. WiFi connectivity has been improved as well alongside the bluetooth connectivity. A number of bugs, which were addressed in the previous update have been addressed now. Overall, this firmware is more stable, more battery friendly and more smooth.
If you want to skip the hassle of going through the manual process, you can just goto your phone’s settings and check the OTA update in the software updates menu. Upon finding yourself out of luck, you can continue with this post and go through the installation process to run the latest and greatest version of Android on your OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. Download and install the all new OxygenOS 4.1.0 Android 7.1.1 Nougat on your OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T now.
Download and Install OxygenOS 4.1.0 on OnePlus 3/OnePlus 3T [Android 7.1.1 Nougat]
These are full OTA files. You just need to have a stock firmware running on your phone prior to updating to this firmware. Do not flash these files over a modified firmware.
- Rename the downloaded file to oneplus3_OTA.zip
For OnePlus 3T: OnePlus 3T OxygenOS 4.1.0 Android 7.1.1 Nougat Firmware
- Rename the downloaded file to oneplus3T_OTA.zip
- Backup everything before proceeding. Follow the instructions carefully. Charge your phone good enough to make sure it doesn’t die and use the original data cable for the whole process.
- Download and install Android ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- You will get a Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder in your Windows installation drive after installing the ADB drivers linked above. It should be something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot and you will also get the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe file on your desktop.
- Now copy the OnePlus 3 Android 7.1.1 or OnePlus 3T Android 7.1.1 Nougat firmware.zip file to this Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder.
- It’s time to put your OnePlus 3/3T in recovery mode and connect it to your PC.
- Turn off your OnePlus 3/3T completely.
- Now press and hold Volume Down + Home Key to boot into OnePlus 3/3T stock recovery.
- As your phone boots up into the stock recovery, select “Install form USB” mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer now.
- Now from the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder, run the MAF32.exe file, or find the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe file on your desktop and run that.
- A command window will open up now.
- In the command window, enter the following command.
- For OnePlus 3: adb sideload oneplus3_OTA.zip
- For OnePlus 3T: adb sideload onpelus3t_OTA.zip
Method#2: Install OnePlus 3/3T Android 7.1.1 Nougat using TWRP recovery
- Download and install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 3
- Download and install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 3T
- Now follow the steps given in this guide to flash the firmware.
Note: This is an official firmware and completely untouched/untweaked. You can always get OTA updates after installing such firmware on your OnePlus smartphones.
I hope that you guys found this guide helpful. Reach me out through the comments if you get stuck with something.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Google GApps for Android 5.1.x Lollipop [All ROMs] - March 24, 2017
- How to fix Super Mario Run Error 804-5100 - March 24, 2017
- Fix Galaxy S7/S7 Edge issues after Nougat update - March 24, 2017