Android devices have the model number and brand name mentioned in the about device section under settings. This model number and brand name helps your network carrier identify your device in order to sync it properly with the radio frequencies. Model number and brand name also matters when you are flashing custom ROMs and custom recoveries on your phone. At times, the model number listed in the recovery or ROM files is not exactly the same as your device’s and it ends up messing up the compatibility with your device.
Furthermore, the Android applications and games listed in the Google Play Store also read the model number of your device and show the compatibility accordingly. At times, an application is available for a higher end smartphone but it won’t work on the phone you have. In such a case, you can change the model numbero of your phone to a device that is compatible with that game or application and then you can install it afterwards.
If you are trapped in such a situation where the only solution is to change the model number of your Android phone, then you should definitely do it. Changing this particular thing on your Android phone can completely mess it up as well. This procedure is not recommended at all if you just want to do it for fun, it can cause a severe damage to your device.
Now that you are on this page, I am assuming you are in the need of the procedure. If you have a clear idea of the consequences of changing the model number and you still want to do it, then here is the method to change Android device model number and brand name.
Change Android device model number
- Your phone must be rooted in order to do this.
- Get an explorer or file manager like X-plore or root explorer on your phone.
- Open the file manager now and go to Configuration > Root Access > now select or make it Superuser/SuperSU + Mount writable”.
- Now go back to the main menu in X-plore and tap /root directory. Under /root directoy, find /system and open it.
- In /system, you will find build.prop, open this file. It should open in a text editor.
- This file is called build properties and it has the information of your device’s model number, brand name and many other aspects.
- In the build.prop file, find the following lines.
- Change the model number and manufacturer name to whatever you want. Now save the file and exit it, or else exit and it should ask if you want to exit it with saving or without saving the changes. Once done, reboot your phone.
- As you reboot, open the About device section in settings, it should have the new device name and model number. That’s all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Download Latest Odin 3.12.4/Odin 3.12.5 for Samsung - April 27, 2017
- How to Install TWRP Recovery using Fastboot on Android - April 27, 2017
- How to Sync Contacts with Gmail Account on Android - April 27, 2017