Google Nexus 7 2012 is out of the Android Marshmallow league. Marshmallow requires an upgraded hardware to run on, which is not possible on the Google Nexus 7 2012. To serve the Nexus 7 2012 with Android 6.0 Marshmallow sweetness, XDA member dmitrygr has put forward a custom AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM. The ROM works with both WiFi and 3G variants of the Nexus 7 2012. Initial builds of this ROM are found to have a working Camera, Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, NFC and Sensors. In case you’ve been living in a bit of disappointment because of Google’s decision of not updating this device to Android Marshmallow, you may want to try this out and give your device a makeover of Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
This ROM is still in development stages and it is not guaranteed to work without any errors. This build of ROM is intended for Android power users who are good with custom ROMs, and who know how to handle the device in case something goes wrong. We do not recommend flashing this ROM as a daily driver. You may flash this ROM only for the sake of experiencing Android 6.0 Marshmallow temporarily. We expect the ROM stability to improve in the future builds.
In the succeeding guide we will flash this AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on Google Nexus 7 2012 WiFi & 3G both. Follow the instructions carefully in order to get it done.
- This guide is intended for Google Nexus 7 2012 WiFi & 3G. Do not try this on any other device. Before going ahead, check your device’s model number in settings > about device.
- Backup all of your important data including contacts, sms messages, call logs and media content.
- Charge your phone up to 80% before proceeding.
- Install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 2012 and create a Nandroid backup using the Backup feature in TWRP. You may backup all partitions as well including EFS, Modem etc. Copy this backup to your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Nexus 7 2012
Step#1: Make sure that you’ve followed all the steps explained above.
Step#2: Now connect your Nexus 7 2012 to your PC. If it asks for some permission on the phone, check allow this PC and tap ok.
Step#3: Now open the extracted Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder.
Step#4: Now click on py_cmd.exe file in order to open the command prompt.
Step#5: Enter the following commands in command prompt one by one.
Step#6: adb devices
This command will list the connected adb devices. You can verify whether your device is connected properly or not.
Step#7: adb reboot-bootloader
This command will reboot your Nexus 7 2012 in bootloader mode.
Step#8: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
This will flash TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 2012.
Now Install AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow On Nexus 7 2012
- Download AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow Custom ROM for Google Nexus 7 2012: Nexus 7 2012 3G | Nexus 7 2012 WiFi
- Download Google GApps for Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to your Nexus 7 2012’s internal SD card.
- Now boot your Nexus 7 2012 in recovery mode. To do so, power off your Nexus 7 2012 completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Keys. You will boot into TWRP recovery.
- A clean install is always preferred so perform a factory data reset using the wipe option in TWRP.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Install > scroll all the way down and tap the ROM.zip file that you just copied. Swipe finger from left to write on the bottom of screen to flash.
- Once flashed, get back to the main menu and tap Install again. Now scroll all the way down and select GApps.zip file this time and flash it.
- Get back to the main menu again and wipe cache and dalvik cache from wipe option.
- Now reboot your phone, you will have the all new AOSP based Android 6.0 Marshmallow running on your Nexus 7 2012.
That’s all. Stuck with something? Feel free to reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016