Galaxy Tab S 10.5 was recently updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. At the time, this is the latest software version for Samsung Galaxy devices. Samsung will be updating some of its flagship devices to Android 6.0 Marshmallow in a few months, but we haven’t spotted the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 in the list of devices expected to get the Marshmallow updated. We are not sure whether the devices will be updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow officially or not, but this Tablet device has already got the all new Marshmallow firmware by means of AOSP custom ROM. Android 6.0 is pretty new at the moment and the custom ROMs for various devices have just started landing in. A number of bugs is expected to be there in the early builds, but these custom ROMs are good enough to experience Android 6.0 Marshmallow for a while. If you’re one of the Android freaks who cannot resist checking out what’s new in Android 6.0 Marshmallow, you must give a try to this ROM and fulfill your appetite.
The only thing that isn’t working in this ROM at the moment is the Camera application and fingerprint scanner. Rest of the components are expected to work fine. If you can compromise these features for a while, you can flash the AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM on your Galaxy Tab S 10.5. If you’re a newbie and you don’t have an idea of how these custom ROMs work, we do not recommend you from going ahead as it may not be kept for everyday use. We only recommend Android power users to flash this ROM on their Galaxy Tab S. Just in case you’ve started wondering about how you’re going to get this ROM on your Tab S, you need to hold your horses for a while.
To read what’s new in Android 6.0 Marshmallow, you may checkout this.
We are about to flash AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow on our beloved Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800 (WiFi) and SM-T805 (LTE). Scroll down and go through the method to get it done. Don’t forget to read the pre-installation instructions carefully.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800 and SM-T805. Also make sure that your phone is running Android Lollipop. Do not try this on any other device, please check your device’s model and firmware in Settings > About Devicel.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed, in case you’re missing it you may Follow our full guide here to install TWRP 2.8 recovery on your Tab S 10.5.
- Your device’s battery should be charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- If you already have rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to back up all your important apps + system data.
- Also if you are using a custom recovery, it is recommended that you backup your current system using that first. [Just for the sake of safety]. Here’s our full Nandroid Backup guide.
- You will have to go through Data Wipes during installation of this ROM, so make sure that you have backed up all the mentioned data.
- Make an EFS backup of your phone before you flash this ROM.
- You need enough confidence to flash this ROM.
- Alright! Go ahead and flash the custom firmware, follow this guide to the letter.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow On Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 Using AOSP Custom ROM
- Download AOSP Marshmallow.zip file according to your device
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android Marshmallow.
- Download SuperSu 2.50.zip file
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy all .zip files to the storage of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone and turn it off complete.
- Boot into TWRP recovery now, in order to do so, turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key. You should see the recovery mode in a while.
- Now in TWRP recovery, wipe cache, factory data reset and advanced options > dalvik cache.
- After wiping all these three, select “Install” option.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select AOSP 6.0.zip file > Yes”.
- This will flash the ROM in your phone, once done get back to the main menu in recovery.
- Now once again select “Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes”
- This will flash the Gapps in your phone.
- Reboot your device.
- You should see the Android 6.0 Marshmallow running on your device in a while.
- That’s all!
First boot may take up to 10 minutes, you may not worry if it’s taking that much long. In case it’s taking too long, you may boot into TWRP recovery and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot your device as it may fix the issue. In case your device is having issues, you may return to your old system using the Nandroid backup or follow our guide here to install stock firmware.
Got any queries? Reach us out through the comment box below.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- How To Download Official Android Nougat on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge - January 20, 2017
- Download Bubble Witch 3 Saga for PC – Windows and Mac - January 16, 2017
- Download Star Wars Force Arena for PC (Windows and Mac) - January 16, 2017