Sony had plans for Xperia Z2 and we were hearing some rumours about the Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat release for Xperia Z2, however, we never thought that we will see it like that. Yesterday, on XDA a leaked firmware of Xperia Z2 was posted, claiming it to be the latest Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat, oftenly we considered it to be a marketing stunt, but once the developer linked the Photos of Leaked firmware in the thread, everyone believed it and now the Firmware is being downloaded by other developers and general public to use this new firmware, since Sony Promised to change a lot of things in it and bring some of the new features of Sony Xperia Z3 in it too, so let’s see what Sony has changed in it.
The Build Number has changed to 23.0.1.A.0.32, however, the new one certified is 23.0.1.A.0.167. The Sony Xperia Z2 after being updated to Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat, will receive the same UI as Sony Xperia Z3. Other features include, Screen Record function, Restart Option is given in Power Menu, the ability to set up a DualShock 4 gaming Controller and Ultra Stamina Mode, the Firmware is official, however, it is available in .Zip format, so we will install it it like a Custom ROM. If you have Sony Xperia Z2 and looking for an update, we have this one for you.If you are interested in Other ROMs, you can Visit our Custom ROMs section or you can install this ROM on your Sony Xperia Z2 by following our tutorial below. This is not an official release from Sony but a Custom ROM, you need to install a Custom Recovery on your device to install this and also your device must be rooted.
This is only for Sony Xperia Z2 D6503!
This custom ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this ROM on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
Battery should be charged at least over 60%
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
Flash a Custom Recovery
A custom recovery, whether a TWRP or CWM is required to flash this ROM. TWRP is recommended with this ROM, so make sure that you flash this one using the instructions explained in the guide.
4. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries, roms and rooting your phone are highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat Leaked ROM: Link
How To Install It.
- Connect your device with PC.
- Copy and Paste the Above zip files to the root of your sdcard.
- Disconnect the cable.
- Turn Off your Device
- Turn it ON again. When the phone is powering up, as soon as the green LED turns on, press Volume Up for CWM Recovery
CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery Users.
- Back-up your ROM using the Recovery.
- To Perform a Back-up, Navigate to Back-up and Restore on Next screen, Choose Back-up again.
- Go back to Main Screen after the Back-up is complete.
- First Choose ‘Wipe Cache’.
- Then Navigate to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’, so you won’t get in any bootloop.
- Then Finally Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Navigate to ‘Install zip from sd card’ another windows will open in front of you.
- Select ‘choose zip from sd card’ from the Options.
- Select the Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat.zip file and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the Installation is Over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
- Tap on Wipe Button and Select Cache, System, Data.
- Swipe the Confirmation Slider.
- Go back to Main Menu and Tap Install Button.
- Locate the Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat.zip, Swipe the Slider To install it.
- Once the Installation is Over, you will be promoted to Reboot System Now
- Select Reboot Now to Reboot the System.
Solve Signature Verification Error:
- Open Recovery.
- Navigate to install zip from Sdcard
- Navigate to Toggle Signature Verification and Press Power Button and See if it is disabled or not. Disable it and then Install the Zip without any Error.
That is it! Just wait for almost 5-minutes, you’ll find your Sony Xperia Z2 running Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat ROM, Go to Settings > About to verify.
Latest posts by Mohsin Raza (see all)
- Download Clash Of Clans .Apk For Free - March 31, 2017
- Root any Android Device with One Click KingRoot Tool [ Updated ] - May 29, 2016
- Set Wallpaper on Android without Cropping – How to Guide. - April 28, 2016