With Google’s Android 4.4.2 KitKat update, all the Android smartphone owners have started expecting their manufacturers to bring it up for their devices. While Samsung has already pulled the KitKat update for it’s latest Galaxy Note flagship, other in-que devices are yet to get this new firmware and finish their appetite. What’s good about Samsung is, it doesn’t forget it’s past flagship anytime soon. The past successor, Galaxy S3 will be one of the lucky devices to have a KitKat, but there is no official date for it’s arrival. So, are you just so much eager to get it? Well, if you can’t get it officially at the moment, a custom ROM can still do the job for you and let you taste Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your Galaxy S3 unofficially.
The ROM we are talking about here is specifically for At&t Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. Quantum ROM comes packed up with tons of features that make the life of your Galaxy S3 easier. It is said to be one of the most stable ROMs available around and is a CyanogenMod based. In the following post we’ll be installing this ROM on At&t Galaxy S3, but before we head towards the ROM installation, please keep in mind that flashing custom ROMs is only wiser if you’re familiar with flashing / modifying your device and you actually know what you’re going to do on your device. Otherwise it is not recommended if you don’t have enough knowledge about it.
Here are some important pre-requisites / instructions to follow:
- This ROM works for all the variants of the Galaxy S3 At&t SGH-I747. Do not try this on any other device. Check your device’s model under settings > About device > Model.
- Your device must be charged over at least 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the installation process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as you may have to go through data wipes during installation process. Here are the backup procedures.
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so.
- Your device must have a CWM or TWRP Recovery installed. Follow the full guide here to install one.
- Using the custom Recovery, make sure that you create a nandroid backup using the backup option in recovery. It is strongly recommended so that in case something goes wrong or the custom ROM doesn’t satisfy you, you can immediately revert back to your old system.
- Make sure that you read all the important instructions carefully. Once done, you may go ahead.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to Install Quantum Android 4.4.2 on At&t Galaxy s3:
- Download Quantum ROM v 3.3.zip file.
- Download Gapps.zip file for Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Copy both the downloaded .zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Make sure that you installed TWRP or CWM Recovery in the instructions explained above.
- Now boot into TWRP / CWM Recovery depending on whichever you installed.
- In custom recovery, wipe your phone’s data or factory data reset using the wipe option, also wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install > Choose Zip > Select the Quantum.zip file > Yes” and proceed with the ROM flashing.
- As soon as ROM flashing is done, get back to the main menu in recovery.
- No again select “Install > Choose Zip > Select the Gapps.zip file” and proceed with the Gapps flashing and complete it.
- Once Gapps flashing is done, reboot your device.
- You should see the Quantum ROM running on your device now. Please keep in mind that the first boot may take up to 10 minutes.
- In case you’re stuck at boot screen, boot into custom recovery and wipe your phone’s cache and dalvik cache and then reboot.
- That’s All!
If the ROM is good enough to impress you, please don’t forget to donate to the original developer here.
In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment below and drop your words. We will get back to you as soon as we get your query. Thanks all.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Install AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xperia Z Ultra - November 22, 2014
- Install Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xperia Z2 Using AOSP Custom ROM - November 22, 2014
- Install AOSP Android 5.0 Lollipop On Xperia Z1 - November 22, 2014