Samsung’s past flagship device the Galaxy S3 is still the most popular and widely used Android smartphone around the world, you must have heard everyone around saying or holding an S3 in hands. Well, the device is really that good and everyone would love to have it as it sported a 4.7 inches display with 326 ppi, Samsung’s very first device to have a Quad Core CPU clocked at 1.4 GHz. A RAM of 1 GB was placed on board under a massive battery of 2100, an 8 MP camera at the back while a 2 MP on the front.
Galaxy S3’s development is on peak, there is a number of tweaks that you can implement on your device. Number of mods, number of custom ROMs. But most of the things are possible only if you have a custom recovery installed either CWM or TWRP. Device comes branded under different variants by different carriers, and some of you might face difficulties finding the appropriate recovery for your device. To overcome the need, I’ve compiled the latest version of TWRP recovery (Thanks to TeamWin for creating this awesome recovery) for all the variants of Galaxy S3 in the following post and explained how to install as well. In case you guys still don’t have an idea about a custom recovery, let’s have a brief look at the answer.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom roms, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, you need to have the phone rooted. You can also wipe cache and dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery.
To install TWRP Recovery on your device, you need to follow these instructions.
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S3, for the variants which are listed below. Before installing this, make sure that your device is listed below. Check your device’s model number in Settings > More > About Device.
- Download the file carefully for your device.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is charged over at least 60%. Highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the recovery installation process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, Contacts, Call Logs & Messages. This is highly recommended just in case something goes wrong and you need to reset your phone.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your phone and PC. Turn off your Anti Virus and Firewall to prevent any connection issues. Also enable USB debugging mode on your phone if you face connection issues.
- Recovery works well for Galaxy S3 running on all Android versions, no need to worry about the Android version.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is SAMSUNG in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
Pre – Requisites:
Download the TWRP Recovery for Your Device:
- TWRP 22.214.171.124 for Galaxy s3 GT- I9300 International
- TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Galaxy s3 GT- I9305 LTE
- TWRP 188.8.131.52 for Galaxy s3 GT- I9305T Telus
- TWRP 184.108.40.206 for Galaxy s3 SCH-I535 Verizon
- TWRP 220.127.116.11 for Galaxy s3 SGH-I747 AT&T
- TWRP 18.104.22.168 for Galaxy s3 SCH-R530 US Cellular
- TWRP 22.214.171.124 for Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 T-Mobile
- TWRP 126.96.36.199 for Galaxy s3 SPH-L710 Sprint
- TWRP 188.8.131.52 for Galaxy S3 Metro PCS
- TWRP 184.108.40.206 for Galaxy s3 SCH-R530 Cricket
- TWRP 220.127.116.11 for Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M Canada
- Please keep in mind that, the device which come with a locked bootloader, like Verizon Galaxy S3, you must unlock the bootloader first and then flash a custom recovery.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S3:
- Download the file for your variant carefully.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put your phone in download mode, to do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power Key, you should see a warning now, press Volume Up to continue.
- In case the download mode method doesn’t work for your device, try one of the methods from this guide.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue now, that means your phone is connected properly in download mode.
- Click the PDA tab in Odin and select the downloaded Recovery.tar file and let it load. Your Odin should look exactly as shown below, make sure that no extra options are selected.
- Hit start now and sit back, it will take a few seconds to flash the recovery and your device will reboot.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key to access the TWRP Touch Recovery that you just installed.
- You can backup your current ROM and do a lot of other things using the options in TWRP Recovery.
- Make sure that you make an EFS backup and save it on your PC as well. Find the option in TWRP Recovery.
- That’s All.
How to Root:
- If you want to root your device now, you can download the SuperSu.zip file.
- Place the downloaded file on your phone’s sd card.
- Open TWRP Recovery and select Install > SuperSu.zip and flash it.
- Reboot your device and find SuperSu in app drawer.
- Congrats! You’re now rooted as well.
That’s All! We hope that you found this guide of much help. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this guide, don’t hesitate to stop by the comment box below and leave us your message. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks All.